LOW-CARB CHEESE SHELL MINI TACOS
|Cheese Shell Mini Tacos|
This Cheese Shell Mini TACOS recipe was inspired by a trip to Chelsea Market in New York. We went to the top-rated taco stand in the city, and taco shells made out of cheese were on the menu.
MAKES: 2 servings PREP TIME: 25 minutes COOK TIME: 25 minutes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces ground beef (80/20)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 avocados, diced
FOR GARNISH (OPTIONAL):
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Sour cream
- Lime wedges
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Make 8 (1-ounce) piles of shredded cheese, 4 per baking sheet, and flatten them slightly into 3-inch circles (they will spread).
3. Place one of the baking sheets in the oven and bake for 5 to 7 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the edges are starting to brown.
4. Meanwhile, set up a cheese shell drying station: Balance 2 long wooden spoons (about ½ inch in diameter) or similar utensils on 2 cups or bowls. You will lay the warm cheese circles over the spoon handles to make shells.
5. Remove the cheese circles from the oven and allow to cool for 1 minute before flipping them over onto the spoon handles, 2 per handle.
Let the cheese cool completely before removing from the spoons and using as taco shells. Repeat with the second baking sheet of cheese circles to make a total of 8 shells.
6. While the cheese shells harden, heat a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat and spray with coconut oil spray. Put the ground beef in the hot skillet and cook, stirring to break up the meat.
When the beef is mostly cooked through, add the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and oregano and combine with a spoon. Cook for another 5 to 7 minutes, until browned.
7. To assemble the tacos, divide the meat, diced tomatoes, and diced avocado evenly among the cheese shells. Top with cilantro, sour cream, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice, if desired.
- CALORIES: 895
- FAT: 71 g
- PROTEIN: 51 g
- CARBS: 14.5 g
- FIBER: 11 g