Low Carb Kung Pao Chicken
|Easy Low Carb Kung Pao Chicken|
For the sauce:
- * 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- * 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- * 1/2 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes to taste
- * 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- * 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- * 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- * 1/2 tablespoon sriracha, adjust to taste
- * 1-2 teaspoons monk fruit or stevia, adjust to taste
For the stir-fry:
- * 1 pound chicken thighs cut into 1 inch pieces
- * Salt and black pepper to taste
- * 3-4 tablespoon olive oil
- * 1 red bell pepper chopped into small pieces
- * 1-1/2 medium zucchinis chopped into halves
- * 2/3 cup cashews or peanuts
- * Sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.
2. Season chicken with salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of sauce/marinade.
3. Add oil to a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
4. Add the chicken and brown for 5-6 minutes, or until the it’s almost cooked through.
5. Toss in the bell peppers, zucchini and cashews and stir fry for 2-3 minutes, or until the vegetables are crisp-tender and the chicken is cooked through.
Try not to overcrowd the pan. Overcrowding the pan will cause excess moisture and the chicken and vegetables will boil. I recommend cooking half at a time if you need to. Doing this will help the chicken/vegetables stay nice and crisp and the sauce to caramelize.
6. Pour in the remaining sauce.
7. Continue to stir fry everything together and turn heat to high. Allow sauce to reduce and thicken. Season with salt, pepper or additional red pepper chili flakes as needed.
9. Remove from heat and serve warm by itself or over cauliflower rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired